- Hints & Tips
- Updating home page/blog
- Manual orders
- Move customer between classes
- Gift certificates
- Store credit
- Private classes
- Bootcamp/Kids camp
- Sorting products
- Adding products
- Product attributes
- Holiday mode
Hints & Tips
No product tags please! It confuses the search engines… For SEO, write meaningful product + category titles & descriptions!
Adjust the columns to avoid looking at a screen which is too crowded – top right of the window when looking at the orders list and products list, there’s a small button titled “Screen options”.
For the Orders screen, tick the following:
- Due date
- Customer message
- Order notes
For the Products screen, tick the following:
- Class date
To update the homepage or the blog or any pages on www.ledolci.com, login to corp website: https://www.ledolci.com/wordpress/wp-admin/
- Login to shop admin as shop manager or administrator
- Go to class schedule on website, find class customer wants to attend
- Add to cart as needed, go to checkout
- If you add a message/note, the note will be in the email sent to the customer
- Preferably, don’t add CC details in the notes, however:
- If you add CC details in the note, only enter the last 4 digits + expiry year
- Pick “In-Person Payment” option
- Click “Place Order”
Customer will receive email about their purchase.
Move customer between classes
WooCommerce (the plugin for e-commerce that we are using) does not have the concept of exchanging a product. to move a customer between classes, you need to create a new order for the customer, for the class they want to switch to.
If the classes are the same cost: for the new class, pick “In Person Payment” to create the order (this means you as Shop Manager must be logged in to do this). Then refund the old order, just pick “Manual refund”, don’t refund via PayPal (otherwise you’d need to take the whole payment again.
When doing the refund, ensure you reduce the product/item, so that stock is returned correctly.
If the classes are different cost, either take the extra payment manually or refund just the difference.
Refunding the previous order removes the email notifications; creating a new order schedules the reminder and recipe emails. The events are triggered during the process of purchasing/refunding, automatically.
Gift certificates are applied to the full shopping cart after tax.
Gift certificates in the Excel spreadsheet do not work in the shop, you will need to create a gift certificate with the correct value and balance, and then give the code to the customer to use in the checkout.
You can check if a gift certificate has been downloaded when you check the order details. (Viewing the generated PDF in the gift certificate list does not count as a download)
Manually create a gift certificate for the value of the store credit, email the PDF to the customer.
- Find the order, click to edit it
- Scroll down to the order items
- Click “Refund”
- Look up a bit, adjust the quantity for the refunded item – the cost will be calculated automatically
- Tick the box to return stock for refunded items
- Click “Manual refund” or “Paypal refund” as appropriate
- Paypal refund will only work if the order was paid via Paypal
Customer will receive email about their refund.
Classes are never assigned to the main “Classes” category
- Create a product
- Enter a name for the class
- Set the “Regular price” in the main product tab
- On the “Class details” tab, enter the class details
- Make sure you tick “Product is a class”!!
- Times are entered in 24h format (ie: 19:00)
- “Inventory” tab: tick “Manage stock”, then set the quantity to 12
- Assign the class to 1 category only
- You can add 1 picture (the post image), and the category however should also have one
- No need for description, long or short – the category should have that
To create a teacher, add a user:
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter their real email address
- Untick “Send the new user an email about their account.”
- Pick “Teacher” as their role
Teachers cannot access the admin pages – they only receive an email with their class details some time before the class. The email will have a reminder if the recipe for the class is missing.
Same as adding a normal class, except:
- Do not add a price
- Do not set inventory
- Do not add to a category
Create each of the classes making up the camp as normal, but only assign the first one to a category. After you’ve created all the classes for the camp, you will need to edit the first class, and add the IDs of the extra classes to the class details, after ticking “Class is a camp”.
In the product list: click on “Sort products”, then filter by category.
This is covered in the main WooCommerce documentation:
To have a drop-down for a variable product, you need to have attributes created. Under the WooCommerce menu, go to “Attributes”. After creating a new attribute, click on the little cog to add attribute options. This attribute will then be available to create a variable product.
If the bakery is going to be closed for holidays, or unavailable for any reason, you can turn off ordering of cakes and other tangible items by setting this on. It is found in the WooCommerce settings. If you add a start and end date, the online shop will only accept class and gift certificate orders during this time.
Without the dates, it’s “on” until manually turned off. You also have the option to add a global “store message”, which will be shown below the menu.
Access holiday mode settings here (about half-way down the first page of settings; please don’t touch anything else).
For all questions, feedback, problems, contact tom: email@example.com